Tuesday, January 20, 2009

tennessee

Once I took a road trip through the South. My favorite spot for viewing was the low mountains near Chattanooga, Tennessee, dark mountains where the clouds wind through them like roads. You may find yourself driving through cloud or just under it, like down covers resting over you with the light breaking through. I was there in the morning, the brilliant holiness of morning, with the Tennessee River looming. I floated down that river, gazed up, and lingered in the in-between places, lines on a map between Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee--secret places with no name, only slips on dark currents that have been there always.

1 comment:

majorwifey said...

Driving through the south from Austin to South Carolina, I was taken by the increasing number of white steeples and the amount of countryside remaining in some of the oldest parts of the country.