Wednesday, August 29, 2007

these are the chairs





I bought my first dining room table three summers ago at this relatively new mom and pop hardware store in Austin. They utilized half of their floor for furniture that mixed a certain ranch grandiosity with Crate and Barrel contemporary. The table is a large rectangular slab made of rosewood, from the rainforest I later discovered (felt like I'd committed a sin upon learning that). The large slats are bumpy instead of smooth, and show the grain beautifully outlined in black where the mahogany stain set in. It looks a little like a farm table in that regard but with formal turned legs. I got this beauty at a sale for half its original price, making it doubly delicious.

There wasn't any way that I was going to purchase furniture showroom chairs of brown or black leather. I wanted something to contrast the slightly rustic, formal feel so that each element would stand out.

It's been three summers, and today I found them (thanks to a random blog find: Silk Felt Soil). Phoebe from that site posted these earlier this month from a fantastic design website entitled StudioIsle. The shots above are from a restaurant in London called Cecconi's. StudioIsle revamped the restaurant and how. The only problem is that these chairs are not for sale that I can see. Perhaps the designer custom made them for Cecconi's. If you know the name of the style these chairs are designed in or have seen anything similar out there I would greatly appreciate your pointers.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

the style looks like a klismos chair to me. rounded back and outward curving back legs. you may try baker furniture (www.kohlerinteriors.com) or maybe hickory chair? The decorators resource building in Houston is open to the public - check their hours on line and go by : ) I could maybe swing some kind of remote decorator cred or they may have an in house resource (the showrooms prob sell to the trade only) another idea but none of these are cheap...our chair builder friends www.artisticframe.com
or google the term? I'll see what I can find :) love the posts!